Saturday, October 15, 2011

Date #4 - The Student

After the dud of a date with the Short Guy, I was really excited to see the Student again. He was mature, sweet, sexy, responsible, and loves the city we live in as much as I do. And he doesn't like sports. As I was getting ready, I was experiencing pre-date jitters and had the worst butterflies in my stomach. I hadn't felt that way before a date in a very, very long time. It was exciting and scary.

When the Student arrived to pick me up, I gave him the once-over. He looked good. Really good. In fact, I think the word "Dayum..." went through my mind. And he even smelled amazing. It was almost irritating how attractive he was. And on top of all that, he has a tattoo on his right arm that I could see under the edge of the sleeve of his T-shirt. Tattoos are like cat nip to me. They drive me crazy. And I'll be honest- his attractiveness may have been heightened a little due to the fact that I had not had sex in over five months.

He planned for supper at a nearby restaurant and a movie. It may sound cliche, but I had mentioned on our first date that I did love going to see movies. And I was glad to leave the night up to him and just go with it. One thing I hate in relationships is always having to be the one to make plans and decisions. I naturally take that leadership role (being the oldest in my family and working in management) but am looking for someone who can do that once in awhile. Hence the reason that I was so turned off when the Short Guy failed to come up with a back-up plan after the flying thing fell through. With the Student, he had asked where I would like to go eat and what movie I wanted to see for our second date. I told him I didn't care, I'm not picky. It was a sort of a test. He passed.

Supper went well, and we learned a little more about one another. At one point I thought, "Man, this guy likes to overshare." But when I look back on it, I am relieved that he was willing to be so honest about some of the problems he had when he was younger. Better to be upfront about it now rather than find out about it down the road. And after my last relationship, honesty is like a breath of fresh air.

We were early for the movie, so he drove me past his house and around the neighbourhood he lives. We parked by the river and went for a walk. I'll save you the G-rated details, but we held hands and kissed for the first time. It wasn't romantic for me; it was panic-inducing. I have kissed the same guy the same way for almost 8 years. For me, it was awkward and a little strange. But he was sweet and never let on that I kiss like a teenager.

After the movie, he drove me home. Another awkward kiss, followed by plans to get together in a couple of days. I spent the next two days panicking about my subpar kissing skills, convinced he would never go out with me again. Apparently I have the confidence of a gawky 13 year old with braces.

1 comment:

  1. I actually really love this part... almost, romantic-comedy movie in the making. ;-)

    ReplyDelete