Thursday, April 26, 2012

Crazy Stupid Love

My 28th birthday was last summer. It was my first birthday being single since the break-up with the Ex. I surrounded myself with friends so I would not feel sad or alone. I had friends over to my house the weekend before to drink and party. On my actual birthday, my friends and I went for supper, then to see "Crazy Stupid Love" playing at the theatre down the street. Who wouldn't want to spend two hours with Ryan Gosling on the big screen? Happy birthday, me!

I loved so many things about that movie. My favorite scene is when Jacob and Hannah are about to have sex for the first time. Instead, they lay in bed, talking and laughing all night.

I remember sitting in the theatre, thinking about how badly I wanted that. I wanted to be with a guy I could laugh and joke with, and be wildly in love with at the same time. I wished that one day I would be that happy. It made me sad but hopeful.

I had forgotten about that moment until recently. I realized I got what I wished for. The Student and I have that. We make plans to have supper and watch movies, but end up talking about nothing and everything until 6am. We lay in bed and banter and joke and tease and laugh. Then we just stop and look at each other and smile and exchange "I love you"s. He holds me in his arms and kisses my shoulder. He knows when I have trouble sleeping and will slowly stroke my hair and cheek, and kiss my forehead in the dark.

Who says wishes don't come true?

No comments:

Post a Comment