When my mom and step-dad returned from their holiday, I asked my mom about the possibility of meeting the Student. She agreed, and we made plans for the Student and I to have lunch with them.
We met at my mom's house the day before Easter Sunday. I was surprised- my mom came across as a little nervous. She was talking a little faster than normal and wasn't quite herself. She relaxed after about 10 minutes and the conversation was comfortable. The Student even managed to make her laugh a couple of times.
After lunch, my mom and I cleared the table and were loading the dishwasher in the kitchen. I quietly asked her what she thought so far. Her answer: "He's REALLY good looking." I laughed and agreed but asked what she thought of his personality. She said from what she saw so far, he seemed very nice. Before we left, she invited him over the next day for Easter dinner and promised to make him German food in the future. Overall, the meeting went better than I expected it to.
The Student came over to my house that evening and we recapped the lunch. I reassured him that he passed the "mom test" and she liked him. He was relieved and a little proud. He was feeling like the last thing he needed to reaffirm our relationship was my mom's approval. Now that he had that, it was smooth sailing from here. And he loves the fact that now she wants to cook a bunch of different dishes for him to try.
I just hope this good side is the only side he will ever see of her.
No comments:
Post a Comment