A few weeks into my new relationship, I had booked a trip to New York with my younger sister. We were to leave Dec 14 and return Dec 21. The Student had a flight booked to the West Coast to visit family for the holidays, leaving Dec 21 and returning Dec 30. He would tease me about my trip, telling me that he couldn't believe that I was going to leave him for a whole week and he wouldn't even be able to see me before he was to leave. We would be apart 16 whole days. At the time, I laughed and said it would be fine. It was only 16 days. Honestly, I didn't even know if we would still be dating by that time, so why worry?
I had travelled extensively without the Ex. I was once on a trip with my mom, and her and my step-father talked every night on the phone. I remember thinking, "God, she can't even go away for six days and not speak to him. It's kind of sad that she is so reliant on him." I could go two weeks without talking to the Ex, and would only send an email or two letting him know I was alive and asking him how the dogs were doing. I took pride in the fact that I was so independent that I could travel without needing or missing my fiancee.
As my day of departure approached, I had to face the music... I was going to miss the Student. A lot. That was hard for me to admit. I didn't want to be once of those girls I would scoff at when they would cry about missing their boyfriend. I was stronger than that. The night before I left, we had plans to watch a movie and have supper. He came over with three bags of groceries and an $80 bottle of wine. We had an amazing meal and watched "Love Actually". While we were watching the opening of the movie, I couldn't help but wonder what our airport reunion would be like when I picked him up on the 30th.
The morning of my trip, I was quiet and kind of sad. I was excited for my trip but I didn't want to say good bye. I wanted to take him with me. This whole experience also contributed to this posting and helped me realize the depth of my feelings for him.
After promising to text every day and one last kiss goodbye, he left my house and I left for the airport.
No comments:
Post a Comment