Sunday, December 11, 2011

Cutting Ties

Over a month ago, the Student had asked me about the Ex. He was curious about the details of our split. Why did I break up with him? What did he do to that resulted in my decision to end an 8 year relatiomship? I was honest and told him the whole story. The Student asked if the Ex knew that I was dating someone else. I said no, I hadn't told him. It was a decision I struggled with, and asked many of my friends and family members about. 95% of them told me not to tell him about my new relationship. We weren't together and I didn't owe him an explanation. I agreed- I didn't want to hurt him anymore than I already had. I reassured the Student that my reasons for not telling the Ex had nothing to do with him and it wan't like I was trying to hide our relationship. Everyone else in my life knew about him.

The only reason the Ex and I were still in contact was because of the dogs. Technically, the dogs are my dogs. However, he did develop a bond with them and wanted to continue to see them. I arranged for him to take care of the dogs while I went away with the Student (though the Ex knew I was going out of town, he didn't know who I was going with). He also agreed to watch the dogs while I would be in New York for a week in December. It was awkward to see him and see his new house when I dropped the dogs off, but I was hoping it would get easier with time.

A few days ago I saw that the Ex had tried contacting me at work. I returned his call wondering if it had to do with him taking the dogs next week. He was wanting to know if I was busy a certain night in January. He said he had bought me a Christmas present. I told him he shouldn't get me anything. He pressed on, asking if I had plans that night in January. I said I wasn't sure, and questioned why he was asking. He said he got us tickets to a show that we used to enjoy going to when we were together. I told him I couldn't and wouldn't go. He asked why. I said it wouldn't be appropriate being that I was seeing someone else. He paused, then said that he expected that would happen eventually. I ended the conversation and told him I would see him in a few days.

About an hour later, he called me again. He said I would have to find someone else to take care of the dogs. He didn't want to see me or the dogs ever again. If he would ever have a chance to move on, he needed to cut ties with me. I respected that and wished him luck with everything.

And just like that, he was no longer in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment