Friday, March 30, 2012

Is This It?

Is the Student "The One"? It's the million dollar question.

Both my cousin and my work friend have told me, "You're going to marry him." Have I thought about it? Of course I have. I'm female. Obviously I am not ready to get married any time soon, but I have seriously considered that the Student is very possibly The One. I say that cautiously as it has only been 6 months, and I am a strong believer that living together is the ultimate test of whether you can marry a person.

With The Ex, I had no interest in having a wedding or getting married. Hence the long engagement. Marriage was just a piece of paper. And I was always against a wedding due to several factors: they are too expensive, I don't want to be the center of attention, I don't want the stress of planning a wedding, and I don't trust my parents to be in the same room without causing a scene. On our third date, the Student and I had talked about weddings. I was very vocal about my lack of desire to have a wedding, whereas he was excited to one day have a huge wedding. I remember thinking, "Well. This will never work."

As the months passed and I found myself falling in love with him, my opinions slowly started to change. At first I was thinking, "If it's that important to him, then I would do it. I would put up with a big wedding to make him happy." But I recently found myself casually exploring the "Wedding & Events" category on Pinterest. I found myself wondering what kind of dress I would wear. It made me think of the movie "27 Dresses" when Katherine Heigel's character says "You know how the bride makes her entrance and everybody turns to look at her? That’s when I look at the groom. Cause his face says it all you know? The pure love there." I want to see that look on his face.  I want all of our family and friends to witness us affirming our love for each other, and becoming husband and wife. I want to have a party to celebrate the fact that we found each other and will be together for the rest of our lives.

I finally understand it now.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post again! :) You know I agreed with the whole piece of paper thing too. I always thought I'd be perfectly happy not getting married. But now that I am married, and I remember how my hubby looked as I walked that into room... well, I wouldn't trade that for anything!

    Oh, and I expect to be a bridesmaid. Just an fyi. ;)

    ReplyDelete