Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Lucky

*Warning: Lovey-dovey mushy post ahead. May cause nausea.

As of yesterday, the Student and I have been together for six months. We didn't celebrate in any special way, but he came over and I made us supper. We reminisced about our time together, as we do quite frequently, and shared some of our thoughts that we had during the course of our relationship. We laughed at how silly we both were and talked about how lucky we were to find each other.

I often think to myself, "What did I do to deserve him? Why am I so lucky?" There is a girl I work with who is my age, pregnant with her first child. She has just moved in with her boyfriend and we often share our relationship stories. But I find I often hold back when I tell her about the Student because her current relationship is comparable to mine with the Ex. Her boyfriend does not go out of his way to make her happy; in fact, most everything revolves around him. But he is the father of her baby, so she tends to put up with it. I don't want to shove my near-perfect relationship in her face.

I know how fortunate I am. I want to shout from the rooftops about how happy I am. But I know it is growing old with some people. Hell, over six months ago I would have wanted to slap someone like me across the face just to bring her down a notch. My cousin and the Best Friend are supportive of me and are so happy that I am with someone who treats me right. They are both happily married, so I don't feel like I have to hold back my glee with them. And why wouldn't I want to talk about my boyfriend? The only other thing that consumes my time is my job, and that's usually boring or depressing.

Last weekend, I came across a tumblr page called "Win My Heart". The young writer posts all the various ways a guy can win her heart. It's very cute and satisfies my inner high-schooler.  I found myself reading all of the posts, over 100 in total. The Student does over 90% of the things that are listed. This makes my inner high-schooler very happy, as I had always fantasized about having a boyfriend that had all of those qualities. It makes me want to curl up under the covers, crank up Avril Lavigne, and re-read his text messages to me.

It took me 10 years but I finally found him.

I am so incredibly fucking lucky.

1 comment: