Friday, September 30, 2011

Date #1 - The Student

The Student asked me out for drinks. In my opinion, that was the perfect scenario. I was not interested in the Smart Guy, and the Short Guy and I had been emailing continuously and I was starting to feel a connection. I didn't want my first date in 8 years to be with him because that would be nerve-wracking. The Student was cute but I wasn't terribly interested as I was looking for someone more settled in life (in other words, someone with a job).

I had butterflies, but I was feeling pretty good before the date. I was feeling confident- I was wearing the outfit my cousin and I had agreed would be appropriate, and my hair looked cute. And I have a job. I felt like I had the upper hand.

We had made plans to meet at a restaurant downtown. He was waiting for me when I got there. As soon as I saw him, I wanted to barf. Not in a bad way, but in a "oh my god I'm so nervous I want to barf" way. He was gorgeous. His pictures did not do him justice. Immediately, my self confidence wavered. Oh well, I was still the one with a job.

We sat down and ordered our drinks. We starting asking each other pretty basic questions, which was easy being that we didn't know a whole lot about each other to begin with. He told me he had gotten into some trouble as a kid and dropped out of high school. It wasn't until he was in his 20's that he smartened up. Instead of doing his GED, he enrolled in Grade 12 and attended classes as a student. His late start to university explains why he is 30 and only in his third year. Instead of being turned off by his story, I gained an incredible amount of respect for him. It couldn't have been easy going back for one more year in high school when you are an adult, but he didn't let it stand in his way. Getting a University degree is that important to him.

(By the way, try focusing on a guy when he is talking to you when you are distracted by his physique. He goes to the gym five times a week. I had to hold myself back from not tearing his shirt off).

As nervous as I had become once I saw him, I still managed to hold my own. I wasn't 100% myself, but I would say about 75% myself. At least I was able to form coherent sentences.

The conversation was comfortable; there were a couple of moments that stalled, but nothing awkward. He was sweet and funny, and quite well-spoken. And sexy as hell. We had a lot more in common than I expected. He asked for my number and said he wanted to take me out again next week. I agreed, perhaps a little too ethusiastically.

The evening ended with him walking me to my car and an innocent hug (but the thoughts running through my head were far from innocent). I was really happy that I could consider my first date back in the dating world to be a success.

The next day, I got a text message from him while I was at work: "Hey, I just wanted to let you know I had a good time yesterday. It's been awhile since I met a quick witted woman with a good head on her shoulders. Have fun at the lake. TTYL. :-)"

I'm kinda smitten.

No comments:

Post a Comment